If you are planning an autumn or halloween wedding for next year why not think about growing your own pumpkins. They are really easy to grow and not all varieties need a lot of space, some you can even grow up a fence, arch or trellis.
If you do your research into the varieties you would like to grow and purchase the seeds now you be ready to start sowing in spring!
Here are four pretty varieties in muted autumn colours perfect to use as wedding pumpkins
- Squash Buffy Ball seeds available from Thompson and Morgan. A cute soft muted orange squash, grows to the size of a tennis ball. A heavy cropper from August to October producing around 25 fruits per plant. Great to grow over a fence or arch.
- Pumpkin Polar Bear seeds available from Marshall Seeds. Beautiful large ghost white fruits.
- Pumpkin Old Boer White seeds available from Organic Catalogue. A lovely ribbed white pumpkin ready to harvest on October.
- Squash Autumn Crown seeds available from Thompson and Morgan. Great for small gardens this pale orange squash has a semi trailing habit and can be harvested August to October.
There are just a few things to remember when growing pumpkins:
- Start the seeds off indoors as they hate the cold.
- They like rich soil so ensure you dig in either good quality compost or well rotted manure.
- Keep them watered.
- Feed them with a tomato feed.
- If you are growing up a trellis or fence keep the vines tied in to support the fruit.
- When you have harvested the fruit keep them in a cool place to ensure they store well.
The most important thing is to read the instructions on the back of the seed packet, oh and have fun!